One of our most exciting activities that we do is to turn raw material into a ready-made publication which can be a conventional book or a digital e-publication in PDF format. This is commonly known as copy-editing.
The aim of copy-editing, as the ‘Society for Editors & Proofreaders’ states is to ensure that whatever appears in public is accurate, easy to follow, fit for purpose and free of error, omission, inconsistency and repetition. This process picks up embarrassing mistakes, ambiguities and anomalies, alerts the client to possible legal problems and analyses the document structure for the typesetter/designer.
Working through the material, through the process of copy-editing, we correct errors in spelling, punctuation, grammar, style and usage, but also very long sentences and overuse of italic, bold, capitals, exclamation marks and the passive voice. We correct or query doubtful facts, weak arguments, plot holes and gaps in numbering.
At the same time, we are also looking at the bigger picture:
- Content and structure;
- Information chunks;
- Illustrations, graphs and tables;
- Accuracy and anomalies;
- Legal issues;
- Technical matters.
If you request copy-editing, you will not normally get any of the following:
- Extensive rewriting or restructuring (developmental/substantive editing);
- Ghost writing;
- Text or cover design;
- Research or fact checking;
- Picture research;
- Copyright permissions;
- Project management.
Proofreading is the quality check and tidy-up of a work. We look for consistency in usage and presentation, and accuracy in text, images and layout, but cannot be responsible for the author's or copy-editor's work. Part of the job is light editing within tight limits.
During this process, we will:
- Compare the proofs to the edited copy line by line or read 'blind';
- Check page numbers and page headings;
- Check the table of contents against chapter titles, page numbers and endmatter – appendices, index, etc;
- Ensure consistent styles – of spellings and hyphenation particularly – by following a style guide, if supplied, or compiling their own;
- Watch out for omissions and inconsistencies in typography, layout and content;
- Judge the need for changes in view of the budget and schedule. Changing just one word can have drastic knock-on effects;
- Identify necessary changes and mark the proof (on paper or screen) using British Standards Institution (BSI) marks or another agreed method;
- Check or insert cross-references where appropriate;
- Eliminate inelegant or confusing word, column and page breaks, including 'widows' and 'orphans' – short last or first lines of a paragraph at the top or the bottom of a page, respectively;
- Ensure that illustrations, captions and labels correspond with each other and with the text;
- Check that content looks right and is logically arranged;
- Liaise with the author(s) to resolve queries or advise the client;
- Collate the author's changes with others, including their own, rationalising or querying conflicting instructions.
Proofreading does not include the following:
- Page layout/design;
- Seeking permission(s).
Technical editing and design
Frugeo GRI is highly encouraged and experienced for preparing geographical materials. We offer a wide range of editorial and designing services for a ready-made or digitally published book, thesis or dissertation, or even a single article and a home assessment.
Our services currently cover:
Revision, proof-reading and copy editing of geographical manuscript, homework, thesis, dissertation, etc.
- We do geographical revision and mistake spotting in your work.
- Checking for typos, spelling/punctuation errors, formatting mistakes and other minor mechanical problems.
- Correction of common errors (grammar, spelling, punctuation), incorrect usages, logic lapses and continuity problems.
Professional typesetting, manuscript editing, line & content editing and interior page layout
- Editing at the sentence level.
- Focusing on paragraph and sentence structure.
- Converting your manuscript into a professionally typeset material.
- We set up the structure and characterisation of your work.
- We edit text and design a professional interior layout.
Book cover design
- Personal cover designed for your book.
- We design paper and hard covers as well as e-Book covers.
Charts, figures, presentation maps, illustrations, etc.
- We are expert in designing charts and figures for your data.
- We can draw your outline/presentation maps.
- We can illustrate your book.
We use state-of-the art technology and we are expert users of a wide range of specialist software including:
- Adobe range: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Premiere Plus
- Serif legacy range: WebPlus, PagePlus, PhotoPlus, DrawPlus
- Corel: Draw, PhotoPaint
- Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint
If you have a design in mind that requires professional input, we would love to hear from you. Please send us an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Our published books with covers designed by us are available here.